[CentOS] using CentOS as an iSCSI server?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Oct 20 20:12:50 UTC 2009

Rudi Ahlers wrote
> Simple, it's only a NAS device, and not really a file server / web
> server / data base server as well. The purposes I needed is to replace
> SMB on the network, and iSCSI seemed like a good alternative. The
> server in question is a dev server, which I thought would be
> beneficial to setup as an iSCSI server as well and connect other
> servers to it's storage, and thus consolidate the storage on it :)

whoa.  ISCSI is *NOT* a NAS/SMB replacement.

ISCSI is a SAN replacement, a low budget (and lower performance)
alternative to Fibrechannel..   a given iSCSI target volume can only be
accessed by a single initiator (client) at a time, unless you're running
some sort of cluster file system that supports shared block devices.