[CentOS] local centos repository upgrade from 5.3 to 5.4

Paul Herbosch paul.herbosch at tbwaworld.com
Wed Oct 21 12:36:30 UTC 2009

On 21 Oct 2009, at 13:48, Antonio da Silva Martins Junior wrote:

> Hi :)

Hi Antonio.

> ----- "Paul Herbosch" <paul.herbosch at tbwaworld.com> escreveu:
>>
>> I run quite a few centos 5.3 servers and have a local yum repository
>> which is working fine.
>> Below a list of what I'm rsyncing at the moment + an extract from my
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo file
>> I copied the OS directory from the install media and ran createrepo
>> on
>> that dir.
>>

>  Well, I had some CentOS 5.3 and 4.8 servers too. But, I mirror the
> directory
> structure and loop mount an ISO image on the "os" dir on it :)

thx for the tip.

>> I would like to upgrade my servers to 5.4.
>> I was wondering if I could simply replace the '5.3' part in the rsync
>> source to '5.4' ?
>> Or is there more to it?
>
>  When a new version is released I link copy the "old" structure to a
> new one
> (cp -al 5.3 5.4), mount the new media under the "os" tree, and run
> rsync against
> a mirror of the new structure. I do this because sometimes there are
> packages in
> common betwen both versions and I didn't need to download it (or
> store it, as it is
> only a hard link) again.
>
>  When I think the new version is ok to run in my production servers
> I simply move
> the upper link from one version to another, i.e. fom 5 -> 5.3  to 5 -
> > 5.4, the yum.conf
> files are set to get from the "5" repo and not from "5.x"

ok, so you decide when you want to upgrade your prod servers.
you make sure you have a local copy of 5.4 available somewhere and
change the symlink so yum has access to the rpms.

another question:
do 5.4 rpms at some point end up in the 5.3 update repo?
(if this is the case I don't have to do anything but wait for them to
show up)
or do I always have to rsync 5.4 over and arrange my files so that yum
finds them in the "5" directory
(and not "5.4")

>   Hope this helps
>
>         Antonio.

thx, paul
--
Paul Herbosch
Operations

This e-mail is intended only for the named person or entity to which
it is addressed and contains valuable business information that is
privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you received this e-mail in error, any review, use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Please notify us immediately of the error via e-mail to
disclaimer at tbwaworld.com and please delete the e-mail from your system, retaining no copies in any media.
We appreciate your cooperation.