[CentOS] sendmail question

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Oct 21 15:12:00 UTC 2009

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a local user account call "panel" on a machine.
> When I use the mail command to manually send email to the panel account
> it over 1 minute until that mail actually deposited in the mail account.
>
> What setting is that reduces this time?
>
> I changed /etc/sysconfig/sendmail the QUEUE=10s and that did not have
> any effect.

sendmail only queues if 1) the initial attempt suffered a temporary
failure or 2) queueing mode was set.

Otherwise sendmail will immediately attempt to deliver the mail. Check
the headers of the test mail in question to find out where there was a
latency. If you have a large queue already then that is your problem and
setting QUEUE=10s will not help.