[CentOS] New administrator and upgrading systems

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 15:23:29 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 14:46:05 Robert Heller wrote:
> Yes.  Generally, doing yum update or yum upgrade will pick up new point
> releases as they become available.  *Sometimes* you need to do something
> special (the 5.2 to 5.3 update required an upgrade of glibc on its own
> before the main update -- this was in the update announcement).

Was that update-glibc-first thing really necessary? I did see the update
announcement, but long after I actually issued a simple "yum update" on my
server, and everything went smoothly. I did not see any problem.

So was updating glibc separately just a precaution measure, or was I just
lucky not to run into issues?

P.S. Sorry to jump in the thread...

Best, :-)
Marko