[CentOS] CentOS-5.3 saslauth configuration issue

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Wed Oct 21 19:25:20 UTC 2009

I am trying to get cyrus-imapd and saslauthd running together so
that I can get squirrelmail to work.  I have accomplished this on
several other servers and have relatively complete documentation on
how to do this.  What I am running into in this case has me baffled.

If I start saslauthd as a service:

# service saslauthd start

And I try testsaslauthd -u cyrus -p test

Then I see this:

0: NO "authentication failed"

and in the syslog I see this::

saslauthd[5995]: do_auth         : auth failure: [user=cyrus]
[service=imap] [realm=] [mech=pam] [reason=PAM auth error]

However, if I stop the system service:

# service saslauthd stop

and I run the saslauthd daemon from the tty with debug on:

# saslauthd -a shadow -d -n 6

then when I try

# testsaslauthd -u cyrus -p test

I see

0: OK "Success."

Anyone have a clue for me as to what is going on here?

Regards,

Canada  L8E 3C3