[CentOS] rpm --freshen issue

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Wed Oct 21 23:18:38 UTC 2009

On 10/21/2009 10:03 AM Barry Brimer wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, ken wrote:

>>> Running
>>>
>>> rpm --freshen --repackage *
>>>
>>> for 1500+ rpms  probably exceeds the maximum character length for some
>>> part of the system after expansion of the '*'  by the shell.
>> That was my first suspicion too.  The redhat tech didn't bring that up
>> though.  (That doesn't mean I'm going to ignore that as a possible
>> workaround; the original conversation here was about tech support per
>> se.  Of course I'm still seeking ways to do the job.  And so thanks for
>> the suggestion.)
>>
>> I, too, recall reading some years back about a bash line length limit.
>> Back then, a long time ago, it was 2048 characters.  So I ran "echo *"
>> in that same install/ directory and the output included all 1507 files.
>> So the problem's not with a bash command line length limit, but still
>> pointing to the "rpm" command.
>>

>>> Try breaking it up into smaller chunks (say two or three hundred at a
>>> time). You can match subsets of the files using shell expansions like
>>>
>>> rpm --freshen --repackage [a-g]*
>>>
>>> and tweak the line for any dependency complaints manually.
>> This solution occurred to me also.  And right now it's a top contender
>> (along with another I'll mention shortly).  If the job environment were
>> different, I'd go with it.  But my boss is making me jump through a lot
>> of hoops for this project.  This upgrade from v.4.5 to v.4.6 needs to
>> happen in a single, specified day *and* my boss needs to know how long
>> it will take me to accomplish, this so the Oracle dba knows when he can
>> start to on what he's got to do for this upgrade.  And I have at most
>> fifteen hours (i.e., two working days) to come up with this fool-proof
>> plan.  Plus, I don't have a test box to try things out on.  But I've had
>> to do trickier stuff than this in the past with not dissimilar time
>> constraints, so though I should be taking extra boxers to work, I'm not
>> (yet).
>>
>> So what I was thinking of doing is scripting the solution you suggest
>> above.  But then, if I'm going to script something, I might as well
>> write a script that will take on the entire task wholistically.  I mean
>> something like this:
>>
>> ls -1 install/ > what-to-upgrade.list  # create package list
>> while read package | {upgrade package}  #just quasi-code here. Loop.
>> if {there's nothing to upgrade}
>>  remove pkg from what-to-upgrade.list
>>  log this
>>  continue
>> fi
>> if {there are dependencies}
>> then for {each dependency} {upgrade package}  # yep, recursion
>> fi
>> else [upgrade package}         # simplest case, just upgrade one pkg
>>
>> The {upgrade package} function would be fairly simple (I think):
>> - Find the correct package in the install/ directory (containing the
>> RPMs for v.4.6).
> [...]

Barry,

In fact I tried that at work today (at the suggestion of a redhat tech),
but no go.  I don't understand why.  According to the docs, it should...
but it simply didn't.  But you are correct about the --test option.
It's worked fine for days (at least :).  Good thing too, as I don't have
a development box to do any testing on.

Thanks for the reply though.  People on this list are really great folk.

Best,
ken