[CentOS] Upgrade to 5.4 with an existing XFS-filesystem

Bernhard Gschaider bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at
Thu Oct 22 11:11:28 UTC 2009

    AY> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Bernhard Gschaider
    AY> <bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at> wrote:

    >> I've got a fileserver currently running under 5.3 with the
    >> /home-partition being an XFS-filesystem. I use the kmod-xfs
    >> from extras. It works great ;)
    >>
    >> Now: as I understand it from the release-notes the 5.4 kernel
    >> has XFS already built-in. Right? Or is it just a kmod-package
    >> ("technology preview")
    >>
    >> Now my question is: are there any recommendations for an
    >> upgrade-procedure? I mean, I can probably manage, but I'll want
    >> to minimize downtime

    >> BTW: when doing "yum list updates" I don't see any
    >> "kernel*"-packages in the list. Is this because the last kernel
    >> from the 5.3-updates has the same build-numer (164 I think)?
    >> And is the 5.4-base-kernel the same as the latest
    >> 5.3-updates-kernel?

    AY> The -164 kernel is indeed from 5.4 and has xfs as a built-in
    AY> kernel module.  If you are already running this kernel, that
    AY> indicates all is well and no further action is needed.

    AY> Could you show us the output returned by:

    AY> ls -l `find /lib/modules -name xfs.ko`

Thanks for the hint: I did it (I'll spare you the listing). The
-164-kernel ist the first one where according to "rpm -qf <path>" the
module is "owned" by the kernel package. All the other instances of
xfs.ko point to a module "owned" by kmod-xfs.

So obviously I'm not using the kmod-xfs anymore (I'm relieved that the
last kernel-update worked without a clash)

Thanks again for clearing that up

Bernhard

BTW: yes. It is a x86_64-machine