[CentOS] [SOLVED] CentOS-5.4 Update?

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Oct 23 17:45:45 UTC 2009

On: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:58:01 -0500, Les Mikesell
<lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote

> I can't answer your question, but out of curiosity, did you just do a simple yum
> update or did you follow the procedure in the release notes document?

Since I was unaware that CentOS-5.4 was released I had no reason to look
for such a document.  I am a digest subscriber and the release
announcement is contained in the very digest that contains your message.

Therefore the answer is no.  My question is: Given the knowledge I
possessed, why would I have gone looking for such a document?  Is every
yum user expected to look for release notes before each and every time
that they run yum update?

On the other hand, because of yum's apparent inability to clean up after
itself, I had previously adopted the practice of running yum clean all
before and after every update, which I did do in this case.

There is a fundamental problem with the software if an automated package
manager like yum requires both prior external knowledge and manual
intervention to effect a particular update.  Surely if a yum update set
contains package dependencies that are sensitive to installation order
then there should be an automated means to insure that the requisite
packages are installed in the proper order by the package manager itself
and not depend on manual intervention.  The current arrangement seems to
lend itself to unfortunate results.

Sincerely,

Canada  L8E 3C3