[CentOS] Need some help with logwatch.

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Oct 23 18:22:31 UTC 2009

I am trying to get a logwatch summary emailed to a central address
from a cron job.  The tasd was copied verbatim from a system which
does this already.  Both are shown below.

host1 crontab -l as root

45 7 * * * /usr/sbin/logwatch --service http --service imapd
--service pop3 --service sshd --service vsftpd --service
zz-disk_space --service zz-network --service zz-sys --mailto
support at harte-lyne.ca

host2 crontab -l as root

45 7 * * * /usr/sbin/logwatch --service http --service imapd
--service pop3 --service sshd --service vsftpd --service
zz-disk_space -- service zz-network --service zz-sys --mailto
support at harte-lyne.ca   #Logwatch summary

My problem is that only the first gets delivered to
support at harte-lyne.ca.  The second gets delivered to
root at host2.harte-lyne.ca and not to support. It has been a
considerable time since I dealt with logwatch on the first machine
and I cannot remember is there was any special configuration of
logwatch itself to enable this to happen.  Does anyone know what I
might be overlooking?

The curious thing is that if I cut and paste the host2 cron job
entry into a terminal window that is logged in as root on host2 then
the logwatch report goes to support as I intend.

Canada  L8E 3C3