[CentOS] linux/magic.h

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 13:47:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 6:58 AM, hce <webmail.hce at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had following errors while I was compiling VLC 1.0.2 on CentOS 5.2:

Why not use a repository like rpmforge which provides vlc in a nice
shiny prebuilt rpm?
Also, are you really still on 5.2? If so, you should very much
consider updating via yum update to 5.4, as there are a number of
security bugs including kernel and udev exploits which can lead to
compromises.

> What package is the magic.h belong to? Is the version too old, need be updated?

Yum can be used to figure this out with the 'provides' option.

> There is only a magic.h in /usr/include directory, but not in
> /usr/include/linux directory. There is no AFS_SUPER_MAGIC, .....

Yum can be used to figure this out with the 'provides' option, telling
you what provides that dir and the files within it.

> What I am missing here?

George Orwell