[CentOS] Bypass Hung Applications At Boot So System Can Complete The Boot Process

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 20:32:04 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 3:23 PM,  <aurfalien at gmail.com> wrote:
> During boot, you'll see (for a real brief moment), something to the effect
> "press I for interactive startup...".
> A few seconds after pressing it, you will be prompted to load services with
> a y/n.
> Once in Ubuntu, I entered rescue mode by entering grub startup options at
> the command prompt, namely single user mode but I can't recall exactly how I
> did this  I imagine it would apply to any Linux distro.
> For me, sendmail and other network services (not NFS though) took forever to
> load because of fubar'd network stuff.
>
> On Oct 25, 2009, at 1:01 PM, Mathew S. McCarrell wrote:
>
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Kemp, Larry <Larry.Kemp at usmetrotel.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have a CentOS system that is hanging at boot. Sendmail takes forever
>> (and a few other apps hang as well...mainly network apps). This has proven
>> in the pas to be a NIC misconfiguration or a network issue. I think that is
>> what it is on this one too. Is there a way when I see an app haning at boot
>> to make the server stop trying to load the hung app and bring the OS up into
>> the GI so that I get to fixing it? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Larry Kemp
>> Network Engineer
>> U.S. Metropolitan Telecom, LLC
>
> If your having network apps hang, I would take a look at your /etc/hosts
> file and make sure it is correct.  I've had an issue in the past with
> sendmail hanging during boot and an incorrect /etc/hosts file was the cause.
>

> Matt
>
> --
> Mathew S. McCarrell
> Clarkson University '10
>
> mccarrms at gmail.com
> mccarrms at clarkson.edu
> 1-518-314-9214

i seem to recall similar situation and the netplugd helped but in my
case it was because the Cat5 cable was unplugged or the switch was
powered off.  i am not sure why it isn't on by default, maybe
NetworkManager was supposed to take over the responsibilities of
Netplugd, but clearly failed.  ifconfig would say eth0 was UP even
though it was not plugged-in.  Since netplug daemon has been running,
ifconfig hasn't lied again.

IIRC, all i did to turn it on and enable it was, but you may have to
yum it down first:
chkconfig netplug on