[CentOS] For building my local repo, how large is 5.4 update?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Oct 26 12:36:44 UTC 2009

ML wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>

>> I have run a local repo for Centos updates for some time.
>>

> You actually bring up a good item here. I am starting to learn more
> and deploy CentOS. I should run a local repo too, save bandwidth, etc.
>
> Do you have a tutorial for setting up a local repository? Can one
> store, say multiple versions , just in case?

I have never automated my process, and I have as many versions as I want
to blow disk space on.

For the base OS, the script that is running right now is:

# cat basesync.sh
#!/bin/sh
rsync -avu rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.4/os/i386/ \
--delete --exclude=debug/ /repos/centos/5.4/os/i386

For updates:

# cat updatesync.sh
#!/bin/sh
rsync -auv rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.4/updates/i386/ \
--delete --exclude=debug/ /repos/centos/5.4/updates/i386

'Traditionally' I run the updates script whenever I see a Centos
Annoucement of new rpms.

I have a symlink of /repos/centos to /var/www/html so I then setup my
/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo to have:

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
baseurl=http://repo.htt-consult.com/centos/5.n/os/$basearch/

Where 5.n is the version I am running on that box. I also have a symlink
of the current version to /repos/centos/5 so I can just use
/centos/5/.... for the current version. I have to update that symlink
today from 5.3 to 5.4...

Oh there is a similar line for [updates].

I recently deleted my repos for FC9 and rsynced the repos for FC11.
There I have a bit more to exclude.

On a fresh install I boot into 'linux askmethod' off CD 1, and provide
the URL for the base repo to install off my local repo which is faster
than flipping through 6 CDs (and more reliable). I suspect it would even
be faster than the 1 DVD, if I had servers here with DVD drives on them!