[CentOS] Locales and filenames

Alfred von Campe

alfred at von-campe.com
Tue Oct 27 13:05:18 UTC 2009

I have a file which contains non-ASCII characters (umlauts, accented
characters, etc.) both in its filename as well as its content.  The
only way I have been able to see these characters is inside vim,
where they are displayed correctly no matter what I have LANG set
to.  My default LANG is en_US.utf8, but I have tried de_DE.utf8,
de_DE.iso88591, and various others.  In the output of a simple ls,
the characters are shown as either a simple "?" or a "?" in a box
depending on what I have LANG set to, and the same is true if I use
cat to display the contents.  I have tried this both in an xterm as
well as a gnome-terminal window on a CentOS 5.3 system.

I am taking stabs in the dark here as I've never had to deal with
LANG and locales before.  Am I missing something obvious or is there
more to it than simply setting LANG.  Since I can see the characters
correctly in vim, I'm sure it's not a font issue.  I just want to be
able to display these characters correctly with simple Linux commands
like ls and cat.

Thanks,
Alfred