[CentOS] Inquiry:External USB modem and Remote PC Access?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 13:12:49 UTC 2009

Basically you'll want to use the procedure in the link I posted
http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_dialin_server to set up PPP dial-in access.
Note that there are a pair of IP addresses in one of the config files, one for
each end  of the link.  On the other side, follow any dial-up internet procedure
to get the connection, then you can treat the remote IP address like any other
network connection.  Dial up network connections are slow, so you actually might
prefer to work in command line mode if it is possible for what you need to do.
You can do this via ssh over the network.  X is designed to work natively over a
network but dialup connections are really too slow to use it that way.  You
might be able to tolerate vnc but freenx and nx would be the best approach for
remote GUI access over a low bandwidth link.  I'd recommend setting these up and
testing over a faster network if you can get two machines together or perhaps
use VMware so you know how they are supposed to work.  It can be frustrating
trying to get this sort of thing working the first time from a remote and slow
location.

  -Les Mikesell