[CentOS] Locales and filenames

Alfred von Campe alfred at von-campe.com
Tue Oct 27 14:20:55 UTC 2009

On Oct 27, 2009, at 9:45, Niki Kovacs wrote:

> The 'file' command displays encoding information. If you have to
> change
> the encoding, use 'recode'. Example :

Thanks for the quick response, Niki, but I don't need to change the
encoding (at least I don't think I do).  I just want ls to show me
the non-ASCII characters in its output and cat to display the
characters properly in my xterm or gnome-terminal.  Currently, both
of these commands display them as "?".  My current test case has a
file which contains a "ç" (0xE7, c with cedilla) in its filename, and
an "í" (0xED, i acute) inside the file.

Alfred