[CentOS] VMware Server 2.0.1 On CentOS 5

Ben Mohilef benm at dsl-only.net
Thu Oct 29 18:06:44 UTC 2009

> However, other than this issue which may be fixed in 2.0.2 (I still
> had a problem but haven't spent much time investigating), the
> combination works fine.

The upgrade to VMware Server 2.0.2 on 5.4 has not gone well for me. The
XP shutdown command hangs. XP Task Manager then shows nothing
running any significant cpu load then totally hangs the guest and a forced
reboot is required. The forced reboot generates a "Communication Error" .
Restarting vmware fails until all processes related to  vmware are killed,
config.pl is re-run and the server restarted. Upgrading Vmware tools finally
succeeded after several tries with only cryptic messages that the
"Installation failed". I haven't tried a guest shutdown since the tools were
fixed so I don't know if this is or is not related. Not a trace of information in
any of the  logs. Will pursue this further tonight. Server 2.0.1 and it's
predecessors have run flawlessly for me the last few years.

In addition, my tea is cold and my little toe hurts. There - I've done all my
whining for the day.

benm