[CentOS] Infrastructure HELP!

Ryan Wagoner rswagoner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 23:28:17 UTC 2009

Looks like the price has gone up with the economy starting to recover.
I paid $68 per WD RE3 500GB drive on Amazon.com back in June.

I would still recommend going with 4 drives in RAID 10 over 2 in RAID
1 or even 3 drives in RAID 5. You will get almost double the
performance due to being able to stripe across the drives. RAID 1 is
just a mirror so you are only going to see the performance of a single
drive.

I have experience with software RAID levels 1 and 5 with mdadm. My
file server has a RAID 1 of 2 x 160GB Seagate SATA Drives and a RAID 5
of 3 x 1TB Hitachi SATA drives. For the RAID 1 drives hdparm shows
approx 68MB/s for each drive and 68MB/s for the array. With the RAID 5
I am seeing 82 MB/s for the drive and 140MB/s for the array. Keep in
mind this is an older Pentium D with the drives connected to an
Supermicro LSI 1068 SAS controller.

My ESXi box has a RAID 10 of 4 x 500GB Western Digital RE3 drives on a
PERC 6/i controller. The PERC is a Dell branded LSI controller. Inside
the virtual machines I am getting 148MB/s. Unfortunately I can't test
this at the ESXi level, but the MB/s will defiantly be higher as the
virtual machine has another layer to go through.

Ryan