[CentOS] resolv.conf rewritten every reboot. How to figure out who and why?

Phil Savoie psavoie1783 at rogers.com
Fri Oct 30 12:32:53 UTC 2009

ken wrote:
> On 10/29/2009 04:03 PM Dave wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Meenoo Shivdasani <meenoo at gmail.com
>> <mailto:meenoo at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     BOOTPROTO=bootp is triggering it.
>>

>> I'm confused. I just rebooted another machine with 'BOOTPROTO=bootp' in
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth, it did not rewrite
>> /etc/resolv.conf.

> I haven't followed the entire discussion, but do you have correct
> settings in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 (or whatever
> the NIC is) and the two relevant files in
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ ??
>
> hth,
> ken

To add to Ken's answer...  The setting is PEERDNS in the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth? file.  If PEERDNS is set to
"yes" then the resolv.conf file will be rewritten on every reboot.  If
set to "no" then the resolv.conf should not change.

BTW, I have not read the OP's original post and basing my answer just on
the subject line.

Phil