[CentOS] Stripe vs Cylinder alignement...

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri Oct 30 16:14:54 UTC 2009

Cylinders are largely logical - even in magnetic disks you have no way
of knowing if the logical cylinder matches up with the physical
construct of a cylinder on the disk medium - in any modern(15 years ?)
disk they won't. Don't worry about cylinders, just align your fs to the
stripe/sector.

Obviously, the concept of a cylinder starts to go out the window with
RAID, SSD's, etc.

More information about partition alignment here -
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=335049&postcount=134

--Blake