[CentOS] Keeping iptables in sync across multiple machines

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Oct 30 17:42:22 UTC 2009

hi,

Just wondering what people use / recommend to keep multiple machines in
sync with their iptables policy.

What I use at the moment:

1) Puppet, to setup and manage a fairly complex per service type ruleset
that is then maintained on the remote machines by puppet ( in that it
brings together all the various bits of iptables snippets based on what
manifests and roles are deployed to a machine, then builds a firewall
locally on the mchine ). We also use something similar, but at a much
simpler level within the .centos.org infrastructure. Problem with this
is that unless one is familliar with the whole stack of machine
state/policy management, its quite intimidating. Which then means that
there is plenty of breakage, which in turn then means I need to maintain
and run a complete set of VM's that emulate the production environment (
including their IP's ) and run cross VM tests before stuff gets rolled
out. So yes, large hole and lots of potential for non-related issues to
impact release. Some people even argue that having a release based
workflow for firewall's is not good, I'd like to disagree :)

2) In another setup, I use puppet to basically just manage static
/etc/sysconfig/iptables files. Pretty low tech, and very easy to cause
damage since testing-rollout-deploy is impossible. But the other guy who
also needs to manage these seems to find it easy.

3) Yet another setup I've used in the past was with a svn repo and using
a post-commit hook, run some tests followed by clusterssh! to deploy the
iptables files and restart services. Finally replaced that with a slack
based deployment, since that allowed me to atleast run some santity
tesing and rollback if I ended up locking 'core' host. The problem
ofcourse was that its not easy to test remote inbound connections this
way ( without using a proxy, but then the proxy creates another layer of
problems and flakyness ).

4) Physically logging into machines to make policy changes(!) I do this
for my laptop's :)

5) Using a 'git pull' from cron on a bunch of machines, and using a
central git repository. Each machine would then do a iptables reload,
the only advantage of this over (3) is that I can use metainfo like
TAG's and ROLE's in the commit log's, and have only specific machines
react to specific changes. Flip side: needing to track and build a
knowledgebase around these TAG's meant that I almost never ever use
this, and prefer to just have firewall policy that mostly works for the
whole set of machines I run this on.

So, what I am looking for really is feedback on what people are using in
the wild on multiple machines, and bonus points for people who only use
tools and mechanisms already built into the CentOS [base] repo.

- KB