[CentOS] adding SAN "diskspace" to CentOS system residing on VMware

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Oct 30 21:54:40 UTC 2009

ken schrieb:
> Hey, group,
>
> I've got a system installed on a VMware VM.  The SAN administrator
> allocated me more disk space from the (EMC) SAN and I need ultimately to
> create another partition to mount on the filesystem.  Two (initial)
> questions about this:

Given with "VMware VM" you mean a virtual machine on an ESX(i) system
and that the admin just increased the disk size for the VM, you will see
the additional disk space using fdisk / cfdisk as unallocated space.
Either increase your LVM or create a new partition.

> What steps do I need to take prior to creating a new partition with
> fdisk?  (The SAN space, BTW, is connected through VMware.)
>
> The OS is already residing on a logical volume.  Is there any compelling
> reason to bringing the new partition into lvm (aside from the ease of
> resizing it... something I don't anticipate us doing)?  Or should I
> simply create an ext3 partition and mount that?

Depends much on the purpose of the additional space. Generally LVM makes
it very easy to increase any of the existing LVMs / mountpoints.

> Thanks much.

Alexander