[CentOS] caching pipe?

Florin Andrei

florin at andrei.myip.org
Sat Sep 5 06:32:33 UTC 2009

Is it possible to add caching to a pipe?

cat blah | in_RAM_cache_here -s SIZE | something else

I'm doing what is essentially a cat (*) from a DVD directly to an NFS
share. It looks like the two media (DVD and NFS) have very different
read / write behaviors, speeds and timings, and the overall process is
not as fast as possible. So I was wondering if some kind of cache
inbetween might be beneficial. Except, I have no idea whether there's
already a command line tool that can accomplish that (and I'm not so
desperate as to try and implement one myself).

(*) - it's actually tccat, part of the transcode package, but the idea
is the same. Here's the actual command:

n=14
for i in `seq -w 1 ${n}`; do
	echo "${i} out of ${n}"
	tccat -i /dev/dvd -T 1,${i} > ch${i}.mpeg
done
sync
ls -lh

--