[CentOS] using CentOS as an iSCSI server?

Joseph L. Casale JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Mon Sep 7 15:23:30 UTC 2009

>Can I suggest ZFS on Solaris/OpenSolaris? Real breeze to setup.
>
>As for Linux, it has been a while but are there still two iscsi-target
>implementations? Has any one of them got into the mainline (Linux - not
>Redhat - although if Redhat will support one implementation I guess it
>does not really matter whether the mainline has it or not) kernel?

Serious performance issues wrt to ZFS under iSCSI on Solaris/OpenSolaris
at the moment which require gobs of cash to fix. See rbourbon's post from
this thread:
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=111286&tstart=0

As for iSCSI on CentOS, I use iet versus tgt as the boxed instance leaves
lots to be done manually. Iet is actively developed by a some bright people
and is well tested/used and stable. I can assure iet works rock solid, I have
it exporting block devices to ESXi, nix and windows without ever missing a beat.

Also, according to http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-15154 tgt is still
only a Technology Preview, so you wouldn't expect it to be complete yet.

jlc