[CentOS] how to implement java in firefox ?

Clint Dilks clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz
Mon Sep 7 21:55:56 UTC 2009

MOKRANI Rachid wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some pb for running java on my system with Firefox 3.0.12
>
> System centos 5.3 - kernel 2.6.18-128 x86_64
>
> When I tested my java config on
> http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1
> <http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1> I
> have always the message that plugin missed : Java Runtime Environnemtn
> is not present.
>

> What I need to do for implemented full java in firefox ?
>
> Regards.
>

> Rachid Mokrani -  http://www.ifp.fr <http://www.ifp.fr/>
> P avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement
>                  before printing, think of environment
>
> __________________________
>
> Ce message (et toutes ses pièces jointes éventuelles) est confidentiel et établi à l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme à sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf autorisation expresse. L'IFP décline toute responsabilité au titre de ce message.
>
> This message and any attachments (the message) are confidential and intended solely for the addressees. Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. IFP should not be liable for this message.
>
> Visitez notre site Web / Visit our web site : http://www.ifp.fr

Hi,

The answer to this depends on what versions of Java you have installed
and what Architecture you are running.

If you have  sun java 1.6 .*  installed on a 32 Bit system you need to
create a link from libjavaplugin_oji.so to one of your plugin
directories such as /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.  Once this is done you
should see something similar to the following in about:plugins

    Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_10-b33

    File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
    Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_10

If you are running 64 Bit CentOS with a recent sun 64 Bit Java then I
believe the file you need to link is |libnpjp2.so.  But I have had
issues with this on CentOS.  So on my 64 Bit systems I have a 32 Bit
Firefox and Java installed for stuff like this.

I know that the 64 Bit Plugin works for other distributions

If you are using OpenJava I believe the process will be similar but I
can't tell you the file you will need to Link.

I hope this helps :)