[CentOS] winbond w83793G driver

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 22:36:46 UTC 2009

Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
> Hi! Have anyone any idea why w83793G driver is not in the upstream
> vendor kernel? do i have to compile my own kernel for this to work?
>
> Thank you,
> Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I guess the w83793 driver had not made the 2.6.18.4 kernel that RHEL5 is
based off.

Anyway, luckily you don't need to build a whole kernel for one driver
module - you can build the driver out of tree against the el5 kernel.

Even better, I've backported the module for you from the latest upstream
kernel (2.6.30.5) as a kABI tracking kmod package and put it in the
elrepo-testing repository here (kmod-w83793):

http://elrepo.org
http://elrepo.org/linux/testing/el5/

As you have the hardware, I'd appreciate if you would test the driver
and report back how it works, either here or on the elrepo mailing lists
or bug tracker.

Thanks