[CentOS] pwconv with partial /etc/passwd

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 15:30:34 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 12:33, Eugene Vilensky<evilensky at gmail.com> wrote:
> If shadow passwords are already in use, and new entries are appended to
> /etc/passwd that include password hashes, is it still possible to use
> pwconv to generate /etc/shadow entries for just the few newly appended
> accounts?

"man pwconv" answers your questions.

"pwconv creates shadow from passwd and an optionally existing shadow."

"shadowed entries which don’t have ‘x’ as the password in the main
file are updated. Any missing shadowed entries are added."

However, I suggest you back up your files before using those utilities.

HTH,
Filipe