[CentOS] Support for add disk SCSI

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Sep 8 21:03:52 UTC 2009

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Luis campo wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your reply,
>>
>> The configuration I mentioned implies that each SCSI disk array would be
>> in a new partition?
>>

> Yes, if you want raid1. Other raid levels or LVM could group them into one.

some confusion here, perhaps.  I've noticed that many hardware raid
controllers use "raid1" to refer to both raid-1 (2 disks mirrored)  and
raid-10 (2*N disks mirrored and striped).

with 4 disks in a single raid, you would actually have a raid-10, which
is two mirror sets striped together).   after building the raid in the
disk controller (or if its not a hardware controller, building a
software raid with mdadm), you would create a new file system on it with
mkfs, then mount it as a directory (adding it to /etc/fstab for
permanent use) so you could start putting files on it.    I often mount
my 'aux' file systems as /u10, /u11, ...