[CentOS] What repo did this rpm come from? rpm-VVa failures on new install

Dave

tdbtdb+centos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 23:30:49 UTC 2009

Here is a list of files that I have not (knowingly) modified that do
not pass rpm verification immediately after I installed centos 5.3.  I
am not really sure what this means - are the packagers sending out
sloppy rpms, or is something going around modifying stuff? Other than
the texmf stuff, the list seems to consist entirely of config files.
Does yum or rpm or something do some instant reconfiguring when a
package gets installed? Maybe rpms have a post-install script that
mods the config?

....L...  c /etc/pam.d/system-auth
S.5....T  c /etc/xml/catalog
S.5....T  c /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xmlcatalog
S.5....T  c /etc/sysconfig/system-config-securitylevel
.......T  c /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-firewire
..5....T  c /usr/lib/security/classpath.security
S.5....T  c /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
S.5....T  c /etc/printcap
SM5....T  c /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config    #(mode is -rw-r--r-- 1
root root, seem okay)
S.5....T  c /var/log/mail/statistics
.......T  c /etc/audit/auditd.conf
.M......    /var/lib/texmf/ls-R
S.5....T    /usr/share/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/builtin35.map
S.5....T    /usr/share/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/download35.map
[snip ... lots more texmf stuff...]
S.5....T    /usr/share/texmf-var/web2c/pdfetex.fmt
S.5....T    /usr/share/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex.fmt
S.5....T    /usr/share/texmf-var/web2c/tex.fmt

How would I get a 'clean' copy of some of these files to do a diff?
Figure out what rpm they're from (rpm -qf <filename>), then what repo
the rpm came from, then go download a copy of the rpm by hand, extract
the file. Maybe figure out if there is a post-install script and
whether it does something.

Googling, I see lots of hits suggesting that 'yum info  <packagename>'
will show what repo it came from. Testing this on a couple of the
packages above, I get 'Repo      : installed'.  Does that mean that
the rpm came from the install CD?

Am I missing something, is there an easier way>?

mahalo,
Dave