[CentOS] What repo did this rpm come from? rpm-VVa failures on new install

Dave tdbtdb+centos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 22:50:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Johnny Hughes<johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> On 09/08/2009 08:15 PM, Dave wrote:
>> How do I get yum to tell me what repo it came from? Or should I just
>> google for the rpm name and download it from any old place?
>
> yum list <packagename>
>
> That will tell you all the places that package can come from.

yum list denyhosts
Loaded plugins: dellsysidplugin2, fastestmirror, priorities, security
2 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Installed Packages
denyhosts.noarch                       2.6-5.el5                       installed

Which is the repo, he asks innocently. Or will that work only for
uninstalled packages?

> You will have to grep for the specific package number or look at the list.
> Once a package in ON YOUR MACHINE, it is also in the installed repo ...

Or only in the installed?

> but you can also install packages by hand from NO repos.
>
> If you use the command:
>
> rpm -qi <packagename>
>
> That will tell you if it is a CentOS package ... and you can see if it
> signed by a CentOS key.

 rpm -qi denyhosts
Name        : denyhosts                    Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.6                               Vendor: Fedora Project
Release     : 5.el5                         Build Date: Tue 19 Jun
2007 02:31:00 PM HST
Install Date: Wed 10 Jun 2009 07:41:18 AM HST      Build Host:
xenbuilder2.fedora.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/System           Source RPM:
denyhosts-2.6-5.el5.src.rpm
Size        : 337435                           License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 19 Jun 2007 06:51:35 PM HST, Key ID 119cc036217521f6
Packager    : Fedora Project <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/
Summary     : A script to help thwart ssh server attacks
Description :
DenyHosts is a Python script that analyzes the sshd server log
messages to determine which hosts are attempting to hack into your
system. It also determines what user accounts are being targeted. It
keeps track of the frequency of attempts from each host and, upon
discovering a repeated attack host, updates the /etc/hosts.deny file
to prevent future break-in attempts from that host.  Email reports can
be sent to a system admin.

Hmmm.... still not seeing a repo. No doubt I could find some version
of an rpm at http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/, but can I be sure it
is identical to the one on the centos repos?

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 3:19 AM, Robert Heller<heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> rpm -qi <package name>
>
> man rpm
> RTFM

See above, no repo info found in rpm -qi output.

Thanks,
Dave