[CentOS] Fork: Resource Temporarily Unavailable

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Sep 10 18:18:31 UTC 2009

Gustavo Pastorino wrote:

> * /etc/rc3.d/S55sshd: fork: Resource Temporarily Unavailable

Sounds like too many processes are running, you try to run top
(assuming it even works in that condition), if the problem
doesn't happen right away I'd cron a script to run once a
minute and log the contents of ps auxw, and see what chews up
all of the resources on the box.

You can also try adjusting the limits in /etc/security/limits.conf
it seems the root user is "limited" to roughly 36,000
processes, which to me is more than enough, I don't think I've
ever seen more than 3-4k on a box and that was typically when
the box was horked.

nate