[CentOS] CentOS vs Fedora?

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 22:10:26 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

> If you want rock solid stable for up to 7 years, pick CentOS.
> If you want the latest versions of PHP, Apache, or whatever else, and don't
> mind re-installing every 6 months to a year, choose Fedora.

Just my $.02...  I use CentOS on a number of servers and Fedora on some
servers and desktops.

It comes down to what the system will be doing.  For the NFS server, where
reliability is the main goal, I use CentOS.

For a (virtual) server that runs GLPI and OCS Inventory, I use Fedora.
 Those applications are part of Fedora, so its very easy to get up and
running and keep everything up to date.

For the desktops, its Fedora - the bottom line is Firefox is the most
commonly used app, and there's a nice, rather up to date version in Fedora.
 Lots of useful apps built in (available through yum), which is nice.  This
was a bigger plus when CentOS was on FF1.5, and Fedora was on FF2.

What I'm working towards is getting everything to be managed and controlled
by puppet, so that reinstalling the OS is easy, and switching between Fedora
and CentOS (or *gasp* Ubuntu) is easy.  The goal is flexibility and
resiliency.