[CentOS] Creating a personal repo

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Sep 11 13:46:47 UTC 2009

On 09/11/2009 08:26 AM, Michael Semcheski wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Dave <dave.mehler at gmail.com
> <mailto:dave.mehler at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>            I'm wanting to create a yum repo for what is at this point rpm
>     development for personal use, i might eventually open it up but
>     right now i
>     have some rpms i need to debug. I've installed createrepo but the
>     docs i've
>     read indicate that i have to install the base distros rpms, in repos
>     i've
>     seen via a webview they only had packages that they built in the repo.
>     Thanks.
>     Dave.
>

> All you need for createrepo to work is one or more RPM's.  You don't
> need the base distros rpms.

If you are going to build RPMS for more than one arch you will likely
want this:

|-4-|
|   |-i386-|
|   |      |-RPMS
|   |
|   |
|   |-x86_64-|
|   |        |-RPMS
|   |
|   |-SRPMS

|-5-|
    |-i386-|
    |      |-RPMS

    |-x86_64-|
    |        |-RPMS

    |-SRPMS

You would put all your RPMS in the applicable RPMS dir, .src.rpms in
SRPMS, and run creeaterepo in the i386, x86_64 directory (also in the
SRPM directory if you want to provide those downloadable via YUM).  This
keeps your RPMS directories clean.

You might want to put in something between 5 and i386 (like we do for
updates, extras, centosplus, os, etc.).

But as is posted above, you do not need any other RPMS but yours in your
repo.

When people create a repo, they may want Closure of their repo in
conjunction with other repos. For example, you may want to have a repo
that has closure with "CentOS OS and Extras"  ... which means that all
your RPMS can be installed with your Repo, CentOS os and CentOS extras
enabled.  Maybe you also want EPEL or Dag also enabled to be able to
install your RPMs.  (You can check closure with repoclosure from yum-utils).