[CentOS] which ldap do you like

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Sep 11 22:43:30 UTC 2009

On 09/11/2009 11:46 AM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> To All,
>
> I am going to try my hand at setting up an ldap server.  I have looked
> at what is available and would like to ask your opinions as to what is a
> good one to have.
>
> openldap, centos-ds, and freeipa seem to be high on everyone's list.
> Which one do you like, and does it have a good setup tutorial I could
> use.  So far the tutorials I have looked at seem out of sync with the
> curent versions of ldap servers.

We currently use openldap/samba for our directory services.

It uses the older NT type (or mixed mode) authentication, but so far
almost anything that requires windows authentication works fine.

The CentOS DS is likely better, and certainly supports more Active
Directory things ... and we might well use it as a replacement for
openldap/samba.

I am also using smbldap-tools from here:

https://gna.org/projects/smbldap-tools/