[CentOS] CentOS vs Fedora?

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 21:37:43 UTC 2009

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 6:31 PM, David Suhendrik <david at pnyet.web.id> wrote:
>> I'm newbie and i want to know Your opinion about CentOS vs Fedora, hopefully
>> this isn't make a flame, and just to curious..
>> Actucally now I'm using CentOS as some servers. ^_^'
>
> Catching up on reading the list and here are my 2 cents: We started
> out using Red Hat Linux on our home desktops. Then we tried several
> versions of Fedora, years ago. Some with excellent results and some
> with bad results. Using CentOS now and it's a winner. If you have some
> very recent HW, or a Laptop,  you may need to use Fedora, but if not,
> CentOS is the way to go, IMHO. Test your boxes with a CentOS LiveCD
> before you do an install onto bare metal, to be sure it will run OK on
> your HW.  If you need the latest and greatest, this isn't the distro
> you want, but if you want long life, stability and security, this is
> the way to go.

This basically describes my path and conclusions. Fedora is currently
much better than what it was, but for a couple of releases it was so
"cutting edge" that it had issues. I liked the  earlier versions and I
like the last two, but there was a while there where I didn't like
Fedora much at all. Still prefer CentOS, though.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3