[CentOS] abnormal freezes

Patrick Kirsch pkirsch at bookandsmile.de
Mon Sep 14 07:25:02 UTC 2009

Hey,
attila.mathe at orange-ftgroup.com wrote:

> I’m having a linux box running with Centos 5.3 x86 (kernel
> 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5xen)  which is freezing time to time and can’t login
> neither trough console.
>
> The only thing what I can do, to pass the situation is to power off/on
> the pc.
>

> The pc is used only as a torrent server running with transmission 1.74.
>
> There are days when 400GB data traffic goes through the pc, and there
> are days when after 50Mb freezes.
>

> What I checked:
>
> -          Network card doesn’t show any error (netstat –in)
>
> -          /var/log/messages (nothing serious is mentioned)
>
> -          Router logs (nothing)
>
> -          temperature (sensors show normal parameters, which are true
> measured manually also)
>

> Do you have any idea how to troubleshoot the situation, what I’m
> missing  ?

A way to get more information about the situation is to increase the
kernel log level and attach a serial console to the host.
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt helps.
Next when you get the state you can request the system
"/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt", I mean you can print out the
active processes and the kernel log buffer.
Afterwards send the logs right back to the list, maybe we can then help
further.

> I’m thinking that there may be some hardware issues, but the thing was
> running fine for 1 month, and didn’t do much beside yum update on it.

If you think of a hardware issue, you should run memcheck. Afterwards
you should stress the remaining lower bandwidth subsystems of the host.

> Thanks,
>

> Cheers,

Regards,
 Patrick