[CentOS] Opinions on bonding modes?

Rick Barnes

linux at sitevision.com
Mon Sep 14 15:59:49 UTC 2009

I am working on setting up an NFS server, which will mainly serve files
to web servers, and I want to setup two bonds. I have a question
regarding *which* bonding mode to use. None of the documentation I have
read suggests any mode is "better" than other with the exception of
specific use cases (e.g. switch does not support 802.3ad, active-backup).

Since my switch *does* support 802.3ad, including layers 2,3 and 4
hashing, should I use mode=4? Or would one of the other modes be
"better" for providing fail-over and link-aggregation, specifically
balance-tlb or balance-alb.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick