[CentOS] Simple web server with Apache: web page permissions ?

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Tue Sep 15 08:20:44 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm currently sinking my teeth into the fine "Definitive Guide to
CentOS". Right now I'm reading the chapter about Apache. One thing
puzzles me: no mention is made of web page permissions.

Let's say I'm using Apache's default configuration for setting up the
most simple no-frills web server, e. g. no virtual hosts, only a series
of static HTML pages in /var/www/html.

Q: what permissions should I define for these pages?

I remember having setup some web servers on Debian, and the tradition
was that everything under /var/www/html (as in this example) was to be
owned by user www-data and group www-data.

What's the "tradition" with RHEL/CentOS?

Cheers,

Niki