[CentOS] bind dns help?

Roland Roland

R_O_L_A_N_D at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 16 09:10:05 UTC 2009

Hello,

I've recently inherited a network with bind dns already set in it..
the thing is, the previous admin added our networks "domain" as our default company's website..
lets say "abcd.com"

first of all, I'm a complete newbie with DNS under linux so I've sruggled my way and finally landed on webmin that helps me out in adding local dns records.
though the problem occurs whenever there's a url on our website that needs to be accessed...
let me explain..

  a.. I can browse to abcd.com
  b.. I can browse to local.abcd.com
  c.. but I cannot access public.abcd.com  as the dns search for "public" under it's records and it cannot find it..
how can I solve this? changing the domain is in no way possible, as there's almost 200 virtual host setup in my  local network.. so I need a quick solution for this..
any advice?

PS: if any of you can guide me to a good DNS under centos tutorial I'll appreciate it