[CentOS] generate core dump for process

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 17:29:59 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 13:25, Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> I ran "ulimit -c unlimited" as root on my machine (centos 5.3 x86_64)
> when I run the process it is getting SIGSEGV but not creating a core dump?
> What else do I need to do to get a core dump file

You need to run "ulimit -c unlimited" with the user and at the session
where you start the process. "ulimit" settings are inherited by
processes started by that session, it's not like a system setting or
something like that.

You must also make sure that the user that is running the process has
write permissions to the current directory of the process, otherwise
it won't be able to write the corefile.

If you give more information on which process is crashing and how it
is started (/etc/init.d script?) we could help you more on where to
put the "ulimit" settings for that process.

HTH,
Filipe