[CentOS] Antwort: bind dns help?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Sep 16 17:38:06 UTC 2009

Roland Roland wrote:
> I'll explain again... excuse my english..
>
> 1. I can browse local virtual hosts normaly
> 2. I can browse abcd.com (my company's website, and is set also as my local
> network domain)
> 3. if go to public.abcd.com from outside my network (any public place) I can
> access that page normally.
> 4. if try browsing public.abcd.com from inside my network, I cannot as my
> local DNS search it's own records for "public" and obviously it wont find
> it.
> the reason such a thing is happening is due to the fact that "abcd.com' is
> also set as our network's domain. so instead of forwarding requests to my
> ISP's dns to resolve public.abcd.com it simply search it's own records.

put an A record for public.abcd.com in your local DNS, as several others
have said in varying number of words.

however, there's another possible problem...  is your public webserver
on your local network, behind the same firewall as the rest of your
local systems?   if this is the case, your firewall might not be able to
do 'double NAT' where a local (private IP) host accesses the public IP
of the firewall, which is forwarded to another local host.    for this
to work, the firewall/router has to translate the source/dest addresses
*twice* and many implementations simply don't do this.   one work around
is for that local DNS to have the local IP for public.abcd.com

now, if the public.abcd.com server is hosted outside, then you can
ignore this last, and just put its ip in a A record as I previously
said, and all should be copasetic