[CentOS] generate core dump for process

Jerry Geis geisj at pagestation.com
Wed Sep 16 19:34:12 UTC 2009

> # ulimit -c unlimited
> # myprog arg1 arg2 arg3
>
> Is it possible that your program is overriding rlimit definitions?
> Does "strings myprog | grep rlimit" return anything?

> >/ I need to not handle SIGSEGV in my program - then it generates
> />/ a core file.
> /
> Does this mean you fixed your problem by removing a sighandler for
> SIGSEGV? It's not clear to me if your problem is fixed or not...

Filipe,

yes - I removed catching the signal SIGSEGV from my program.
This then generated the core file as expected.
I debugged the issue using the command:

gdb myprog -c core.1275

the core.1275 is the generated core file

I never realized catching the SIGSEGV would not generate a core file.
So I have already fixed the my issue.

Thanks for the help.

Jerry