[CentOS] Where to download rpm packages for centos?

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Sep 17 03:06:04 UTC 2009

>> first thing you should do is `yum upgrade` as 5.3 is out now,a nd 5.4 is
>> out soon, these consist of upgrades to nearly every ssytem component for
>> security and bug fixes.
>>
>> secondly, rather than 'downloading rpm packages', you should instead
>> 'configure yum repositories' so yum can manage the dependencies of any
>> packages you wish to install.
>>
>> see http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories for some
>> popular ones.
>>

> The problem is that I don't have the root account. Our system
> administrator doesn't update the system because of the excuse of
> keeping the machine stable. Therefore, I have to install packages in
> my home directory. As far as I know, I can not run yum without root
> permission. But at least I should be able to run rpm without root
> permission. That is why I asked the original question.

You still will not be able to install rpm packages that are slotted for
/usr.

Are you in Hong Kong? Tell your system administrator that this is Redhat
Linux administration and not Microsoft Windows administration. You get
surprises from Microsoft updates. You rarely get any surprises from
Redhat Linux updates. Not updating a Redhat Linux box has more potential
for fire fighting than updating.