[CentOS] Apache: confusion about virtual hosts and DNS on a local network

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Sat Sep 19 13:04:07 UTC 2009

nate a écrit :

> just add a record
>
> microlinux.buildbox         IN A   #.#.#.#

That gives me a partial success. I added my two virtual hosts to the DNS
server, like this:

babasse         A       192.168.1.1
buildbox        A       192.168.1.2
lifebook        A       192.168.1.3
raymonde        A       192.168.1.4
jukebox         A       192.168.1.5
frankenstein    A       192.168.1.6

ap              A       192.168.1.253
modem           A       192.168.1.254

microlinux.buildbox A   192.168.1.2
kikinovak.buildbox  A   192.168.1.2

I increased the serial and restarted named.

Then, on the webserver, I added this to httpd.conf:

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerAdmin info at microlinux.fr
   DocumentRoot /var/www/html/microlinux
   ServerName buildbox.presbytere.local
   ServerAlias microlinux.buildbox.presbytere.local
   ErrorLog logs/microlinux-error_log
   CustomLog logs/microlinux-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerAdmin contact at kikinovak.net
   DocumentRoot /var/www/html/kikinovak
   ServerName buildbox.presbytere.local
   ServerAlias kikinovak.buildbox.presbytere.local
   ErrorLog logs/kikinovak-error_log
   CustomLog logs/kikinovak-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

... and I duly restarted httpd.

Now, I can fire up a browser anywhere on the LAN and view the first site
via http://microlinux.buildbox. But curiously, when I try to view the
second site via http://kikinovak.buildbox, I also get the first site at
the second address. Any idea what's going on here?

Niki