[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 16:09:46 UTC 2009

Sorin Srbu wrote:

>>> My mother runs CentOS on her computer at home. My wife does it on a
>>>  portable she lugs around on meetings. Why shouldn't CentOS be suitable
> for
>>>  "home" users? CentOS's maintenance cycle alone got me all sweaty and hot
>>>  the first time I heard of it. ;-)
>>>
>> Yes, it's a very big plus.  I'm comfortable using Fedora on my desktop, and
>> use CentOS on my server, so with CentOS set to update regularly her
>> maintenance needs should be minimal, which suits both of us very well ;-)
>
> Guessed as much. 8-)
>
> This is slightly OT, but does Fedora still have those six-months (or
> thereabouts) cycles they had before?

Yes - and for those suggesting ubuntu as better for a non-technical user
I think the real question is whether the user will do any of their own
changes (like adding new programs) and updates.  If they do, ubuntu is
probably a good choice.  If they will ask you to do it for them, then it
would be the system that you are most comfortable with maintaining.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com