[CentOS] how to implement java in firefox ?

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Sep 24 00:14:11 UTC 2009

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Clint Dilks <clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote:
>>> I have some pb for running java on my system with Firefox 3.0.12
>>> System centos 5.3 - kernel 2.6.18-128 x86_64
>>>
>>> When I tested my java config on
>>> http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1
>>> <http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1> I
>>> have always the message that plugin missed : Java Runtime Environnemtn
>>> is not present.
>>>
>>> What I need to do for implemented full java in firefox ?
> <snip>
>> If you have  sun java 1.6 .*  installed on a 32 Bit system you need to
>> create a link from libjavaplugin_oji.so to one of your plugin
>> directories such as /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.  Once this is done you
>> should see something similar to the following in about:plugins
>>
>>    Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_10-b33
>>
>>    File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
>>    Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_10
>>
> <snip>
>
> I want to resurrect this thread..... Some time ago, I got the JRE, but
> had the same  problem as the OP.     This box is CentOS 5.3   (32 bit)
> fully updated. Firefox 3.04.14.   I have jre1.6.0_13 installed.   In
> usr/lib/mozilla/plugins   when I make the link, as the root user, the
> permissions seem to be the same as for the link for libflashplayer.so
> but when I go back to my regular user account and launch Mozilla
> Firefox, it crashes. Is that because I had the java.com site open in
> the browser, before  making the link as the root user? I removed the
> link, temporarily.  What do I need to do, to make the link work
> properly?      TIA!

Gee, flashplayer....

I reported a bug to the firefox team early last week. *Every* time I tried to
use flash under either 3.0.14 or 3.5.3, firefox crashed. Hard.

They *finally* found the bug: there's an undocumented dependency on libcurl, so
if you install the curl rpm (both, if you're running 64-bit), it'll work.

	mark
--
Giving government power and money and allowing the private outlay of money for
campaign advertising is like having teenagers, and not giving them sex ed &