[CentOS] update of openssh-server i386 4.3p2-36.el5, dependencies

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 12:43:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 08:36,  <zagiatakrapovic at gmx.ch> wrote:
> Any ideas why there is such a dependency hell?
> It's a server host, I don't need any GTK stuff etc.

The GTK stuff is pulled by the openssh-askpass package which is a
graphical front-end for asking the user for the password.

You asked yum to install it when you ran the command:

$ yum install openssh-*

If all you need is to update the already installed openssh packages,
what you actually want is:

$ yum update openssh*

Also note that if you use a dash between openssh and the star it will
not include the base openssh package which you probably want. In this
particular case it would probably be updated because of the
dependencies, but I think it's good to point out the difference.

HTH,
Filipe