[CentOS] Centos 5.3 - kickstart configuration

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Sat Sep 26 02:48:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009, Karl Kobata wrote:

>Over the last couple of weeks, additional software was installed using the
>package manager.

>I would like to get a custom kickstart file created for our system.  For
>this, I would like to get complete list of software installed so they may
>be add to the kickstart file package selection.

>Can anyone tell me if this can be done?  If it can, please give me
>instructions?

This will give you a list of installed packages:

yum list installed

>Finally, where on the installation cd's would I place this kickstart file ?

You should have a file, /root/anaconda-ks.cfg, that was built
when the system was installed which you can use as a starting
point to see how things should be done.

We normally use network installs starting with the minimal
network install CD.  The configuration goes in the base directory
of the disk, often as ks.cfg which is specified at the boo prompt

Linux: ks=cdrom:ks.cfg

We have a few variants of this such as ksvmware.cfg to install in
VMware virtural machines which we configure a bit differently
than we do on-hardware systems.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support
of Paul -- George Bernard Shaw