[CentOS] mounting images created using dd that contain two partitions

aurfalien at gmail.com aurfalien at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 03:16:12 UTC 2009

Ok, this is what I did in the exact same situation (solution below
gotten from the xen list).

I use it religiously.

Lucky I'm on both forums.

First make sure your guest isn't running unless you want to trash its
file systems.

losetup -f /var/lib/xen/images/foo.img
losetup -a
# Make a note of which device corresponds to /var/lib/images/foo.img,
# 'll call it /dev/loopN but it's probably /dev/loop0
kpartx -va /dev/loopN

You'll get two new entries in /dev/mapper now: /dev/mapper/loopNp1
and /dev/mapper/loopNp2.   loopNp1 is /boot (asume you have got a
standard layout).   loopNp2 is a volume group.   You can just mount
/dev/loopNp1 to poke around the /boot file system.

Now

vgscan

This is where you might come unstuck.   The default volume group for
Red Hat and similar is "VolGroup00".  If your dom0 is using LVM and so
is the guest then you'll have do VolGroup00's and that's bad.   The
best thing to do now is to boot a rescue image in a different domU and
rename the guest's volume group.  You'll need to undo the kpartx and
losetup (see below first) and when you've all finished then you'll
need to either fix up the guest's /boot/initrd*.img, /etc/fstab and /
boot/grub/grub.conf to hold the new name or you'll have to rename it
back again in the rescue guest.

Anyway, assuming you don't get a clash:

vgchange -ay VolGroup00

The guest's file systems are now in /dev/VolGroup00 and you can mount
them as normal.

To undo everything:

1.  umount any file systyems you mounted
2.  vgchange -an VolGroup00
3.  kpartx -d /dev/loopN
4. losetup -d /dev/loopN

And next time you build a system, change the name of its volume group
so you don't wind up with two systems with the same volume group
name!   And I wish Red Hat had listened to me years ago when I said
that "VolGroup00" was a really poor idea.