[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Christoph Maser cmr at financial.com
Sun Sep 27 13:32:08 UTC 2009

Am Sonntag, den 27.09.2009, 15:17 +0200 schrieb Karanbir Singh:
> On 24/09/09 21:32, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> > I really wish RH would hop on the /srv bus. The broad distinction is
> > fairly easy to grasp: /var for variable data of general interest to
> > the machine, /srv for stuff related to a specific service. In general,
> > /var is machine-generated, /srv is person-generated.
>
> what does the lsb haveto say about this ?
>
> - KB

LSB says:
"An LSB conforming implementation shall provide the mandatory portions
of the file system hierarchy specified in the Filesystem Hierarchy
Standard (FHS), together with any additional requirements made in this
specification."

And the FHS says for /srv:

"The methodology used to name subdirectories of /srv is unspecified as
there is currently no consensus on how this should be done. One method
for structuring data under /srv is by protocol, eg. ftp, rsync, www, and
cvs."

and for /var
"/var contains variable data files. This includes spool directories and
files, administrative and logging data, and transient and temporary
files."

So I don't see consensus here. What if my served data ist "variable
data"? An no distinction between man made or machine made is given here.
Also this might not be flexible enough for some scenarios.

Chris

financial.com AG

Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert (CEO/Vorsitzender) | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach