[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Sep 28 23:57:10 UTC 2009

> >> I'm thinking of giving CentOS to a non-tech user for her new desktop.  He
> >> needs are small.  She has been used to Mozilla for both mail and browsing, so
> >> equivalents there are not a problem.  She needs grip and lame, for her mp3s -
> >> again no problem.
> >
> > Desktop, non-techie - use Ubuntu instead.
> >
> > I'm a big CentOS fan, I joined even the Facebook group (lol), but its
>
> Thats my thought as well.  Ubuntu desktop and CentOS for servers.
> Just wandering if anyone is using the 'Ubuntu Server Edition's'?  They
> seem appealing but CentOS is what I am used too on servers now.
> Thought about loading it up on a box to just try though.

I use CentOS on my desktop and my Laptop.

It is also the version I set up at the local library(1), which *used* to
have Ubuntu.  There where two main problems with Ubuntu:

1) Ubuntu really needs more frequent total updates (it is not a
long-term stable release).  The Ubuntu system that was on the local
library's server was unable to get updates (apt-get would fail -- I
ended up manually downloading packages and installing by hand (using raw
dpkg commands -- ala using raw rpm instead of yum).

2) Ubuntu generally sucked as a server O/S -- it was trying to be way
too clever about some things -- drove me up the wall (doing *stupid*
things like constantly automounting the USB connected backup disk
whenever someone logged in and swaping the ethernet cards around,
seemingly at random).

CentOS as a desktop system (or laptop) is perfectly fine, *even for
non-techies*, which would most of the users at the local library.  I
guess the only issue would be in terms of support for really new
hardware (which is not an issue at the local library, since the
hardware not this years model).  One can get the 'missing' multimedia
goodies from RPMForge or EPel (or even from Adobe's repo [flash and
acroread]).

(1) http://www.deepsoft.com/2009/08/setting-up-thin-clients-at-the-wendell-free-library-part-1/